Date sent:      Sun, 21 Jan 1996 21:10:13 EST
Send reply to:  VICTORIA 19th-Century British Culture & Society <[log in to unmask]>
From:           "David E. Latane" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:        Re: Braying sages
To:             Multiple recipients of list VICTORIA <[log in to unmask]>

The discussion of classroom teaching confirms me in my bricolage; what I
object to in "student-centered" learning is not the practice but the
faux moral high road of student "empowerment" that seems unable to proceed
without setting up straw figures of dryasdust pedagogues who are unable
to find the groove.  Thus the literature of comp. & rhetoric, informed
as always by the perception of disciplinary inferiority, represents over
and over again case histories of stunning success cast against the
miserable record of pedagogical failures--the sort of teaching that
produced, presumably, all the educated people of the past. (I also have
a suspicion of people who teach classes of 15 looking down at the
methods of those who teach classes of 40.)

I sometimes look into portfolios produced through the latest
methods--peer revision, no grading till the end, collaborative
learning, etc.--and what I see are essays that look and smell very
much like freshman essays, remembered from of yore.

I personally think that some good Victorian methods--recitative, the
Madras system, caning, memorizing Horace's odes in order to be
allowed breakfast--would do just as well.  Has anyone had any
success with these or other period relicks?

D. Latane'

Susan Drain                                         902 457 6220
Chair, English Department                           FAX 445 3960
Mount Saint Vincent University
Halifax, NS  B3M 2J6                            [log in to unmask]
Canada