PREVIEW - PREVIEW - PREVIEW - PREVIEW - PREVIEW - PREVIEW

<<<<<<<  FEBRUARY 1996 - ATHENEWS - VOLUME 10, NUMBER 1  >>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<<<<  MILESTONES: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ATHE!  >>>>>>>>>>

With this issue we begin the tenth anniversary celebration
of the Association for Theatre in Higher Education.
Milestones such as the passing of a decade compel us to
pause and consider what has gone before, and what is yet to
come. Over the past ten years our country has undergone a
cultural hurly-burly of the sort that encourages a "siege
mentality" among educators and artists. Forced to cope with
cuts in spending for education and the arts while remaining
steadfast against attacks on freedom of expression, there is
the creative danger for educator-artists of feeling
isolated.

Even as elements within our society have worked to divide
us, ATHE has consistently found ways to remove the barriers
separating us from one another -- and isnt that one of
theatres primary functions? The nature of this association
has been shaped by the commitment of its members and its
leaders to inclusion and empowerment. In addition, our young
and vital association has managed to provide a series of
national conferences that have offered superlative
intellectual stimulation and exciting creative interchange.
These last ten years have featured thousands of appearances
by our members in hundreds of panel sessions, workshops,
demonstrations, and performances. We have shared and
expanded our horizons with the finest thinkers and
practitioners of our time.

As we prepare to come together with allied organizations in
New York this August, our association looks forward to the
dawning of a new era. While our national conferences remain
central to the mission of our organization, the past several
years has seen the growth of our members involvement in
issues of advocacy, ethics, mentorship and professional
development. The members of our association are taking an
increasing leadership role in matters of vital concern to
scholars and artists alike.

In the following pages you will find an exciting discussion
of proposed new directions for ATHE written by President
Mark Alan Heckler, Forum Chair Raynette Halvorsen Smith, and
President-Elect Jill Dolan. These discussions and proposals
have evolved during months of work by task forces and
committees staffed with ATHE members, focus group
representatives, and board members. The goal of all this
work has been, and continues to be, the expansion of member
involvement in the business of the association. Indeed, the
constant aim of ATHE can be best summed up in the two words
that are focused on again and again: inclusion and
empowerment. Inclusion for all of the various interest
groups and our members in the business of our profession.
Empowerment to help our members continue to grow as
scholars, artists, and teachers. Read the proposals inside
and then join us in New York this summer. Thats where our
great journey will begin -- again.                    ATHE

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<  INSIDE THE FEBRARY ISSUE  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>ATHE President Mark Heckler encourages members to think about
and plan for ATHE's coming decades.

>>>Forum Chair Raynette Halvorsen Smith reports on the importance
of change in organizational structures.

>>>President-Elect Jill Dolan outlines a proposal for
restructuring.

>>>Vice President for Administration Barbara Korner describes
how members can win a free vacation by recruiting new ATHE
members.

>>>Vice President for Conferences Donna Aronson updates the
membership on offerings for the conference in New York this
August.

>>>Eleven focus groups share information about their activities.

>>>"Job Bank" lists twelve positions available at ATHE
organizational member schools.

>>>"The Call Board" lists professional opportunities for a
variety of scholars and artists.

>>>"Around the Profession" provides a calendar of events of
interest to ATHE members.

>>>The ATHE Board of Governors announces the candidates for
spring election on page 19. Mail ballots will follow soon.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you don't receive ATHENEWS, you probably aren't a member
and you're missing out on other terrific benefits such as:

>>>FREE SUBSCRIPTIONS to THEATRE JOURNAL, THEATRE TOPICS and
the DIRECTORY OF THEATRE PERIODICALS (a must for all theatre
writers).

>>>DISCOUNT SUBSCRIPTIONS to MODERN DRAMA, THEATER, THEATRE
RESEARCH INTERNATIONAL, and COMPARATIVE DRAMA.

>>>REDUCED RATES to conferences and symposia.

>>>FREE MEMBERSHIP DIRECTORY - Great for networking, it also
includes E-mail listings when available.

>>>AND MANY MORE.

For membership information, contact:

Jean Crotty
Phone: 312-541-2066
Fax: 312-541-1271
E-mail: Internet:[log in to unmask]

ATHE Headquarters
200 North Michigan Avenue
Suite 300
Chicago, IL 60601-3821

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

ATHENEWS is a quarterly publication of the Association for
Theatre in Higher Education distributed by bulk mail in
February, May, September, and November. Deadline for
submissions is the fifteenth of the month prior to
publication date. News items regarding theatre people and
events in higher education are welcome. Electronic
submissions are encouraged. The Association for Theatre in
Higher Education and its employees assume no responsibility
for submitted materials.

Jeffrey Eric Jenkins, Editor
Phone/Fax: 206-243-4673
E-mail: Internet:[log in to unmask]

Mailing address: 16069 Maplewild Avenue Southwest
                 Seattle, WA 98166

[END OF TRANSMISSION]