Archives (sometimes university archives) do preserve whatever is on
paper, film or tape. The three dimension objects (costumes, furniture,
models...) or huge ones (cycloramas, curtains...) are a real problem that
can be solved only by museums which usually hesitate to get involved
besause they are difficult to preserve (mold, worms...).
There is a theatre museum in Germany and we came close to have one in
Montreal, where only McCord Museum collects some of these three dimension
memories (although most of them are not related to theatre). We should
indeed make efforts to create more of these theatre museums or help some
playhouses to preserve their memories.
Andre G. Bourassa <[log in to unmask]>
http://www.er.uqam.ca/nobel/c2545/theatral.html