If this on-line conversation proves fruitful, Sally-Beth MacLean has asked me to
compile and edit the proceeds for inclusion in the REED newsletter.  I encourage
everyone to participate -- and, for your time and effort, publication just
might be your reward!

I address this to David Saltz and Leslie Harris, but welcome input from
everybody.

I did not get the chance to speak with either of you after your MLA
presentations, but I would like to know what areas of overlap or differentiation
you found in each other's work.  David is working on a hypertext interface that
makes vast scholarly resources available to beginners; Leslie is encouraging
beginners to compile their own scholarly resources (notes, images, commentary,
etc) as they explore Shakespeare passages.

Leslie, I recall that one of your students, to illustrate a Shakespeare passage
that mentioned a toad, included a hyperlink to an image of a tree frog -- a
beautiful picture, but one that shed little light on the passage.  Sometimes, it
seems, when faced with the responsibility of making editorial decisions,
students faced with a flood of information and a wide-open structure can make
hasty decisions that emphasize style over content.  All that glisters is not
gold, indeed.  How do you control the "wow" factor that technology promises?

Dennis G. Jerz
Ph.D. Candidate, University of Toronto
[log in to unmask]       (416) 944-3168