First of all, thanks to all who responded to my two test messages! With
your help, I think I have temporarily exorcised the DAIMONIA who reside
in the net.

So I think it is safe to send out, in my next mailing, the latest
installment of biographical sketches, which are even more intersting than
the previous one. Our membership as a group is now very broadly based in
terms of the types of interest represented -- academic versus practical,
teaching versus research, 'professional' versus 'amateur'* -- and we are
beginning to get more and more members outside North America and the UK.
I'm very pleased.

On the topic of the bio's, I just want to comment on a notion which some
people seem to have about them: they aren't meant to exclude anyone and
there is no wrong answer, except not to send one! I assume that a lot of
people are just surfing around the net and sending subscribe messages to
any group that seems mildly interesting, so I respond with a bright cheery
little note that explains what we are about and asks who they are and why
they are interested. If I don't get a reply, I assume they found out from
my note that REED-L wouldn't be something they were interested in. But I
don't pass judgement on anyone's qualifications or their reasons for
being interested.

As usual, I have edited the bio's very lightly if at all, only removing them
from the framing letter of which most of them were part and being sure
that each person's name and e-mail address was at the top of the sketch.

Yours,

Abigail

*Speaking of which, a Chinese restaurant I like just redesigned its
take-out menu and added a new siglum, two tiny red peppers, next to the
most spicy dishes. The legend explains that these two little peppers mean
that those dishes are not for amateurs.....I can see it now: 'I am a
highly-trained professional spicy-food-eater; please do not attempt
to eat this at home.' A.

Records of Early English Drama/ Victoria College/ 150 Charles Street W
Toronto Ontario Canada
Phone (416) 585-4504/FAX (416) [log in to unmask]
http://www.epas.utoronto.ca:8080/~reed/reed.html => REED's home page
http://www.epas.utoronto.ca:8080/~reed/reed-l.html => REED-L's home page