>  Have any of you
>tried Amantadine/Symmetrel?  What were your experiences,  doses, wearing-off
>time period? etc.?

We tried Symmetrel long before Sinemet (7 years on Symmetrel only) in order
to put off Sinemet use as long as possible. It worked very well in the early
stages except for problems with insomnia. Experimentally, it has also been
good to go back to when a drug holiday from Sinemet was needed. In
anticipation of a "holiday" we overlapped Symmetrel with Sinemet for several
days and then went off Sinemet and on to Symmetrel only for 3 to 7 days. Of
course this gets more and more difficult to do as the disease progresses and
should not be done without a Dr.'s supervision. Symmetrel is a good drug in
our estimation with far less side effects than Sinemet but, of course, is
ultimately not sufficient for the progressing symptoms.  The problem with
Sinemet is that it's the last resort and it has major side effects and (from
reading dosages of folks on this list for several months now) it appears
people get into pretty high doses of it and are ultimately more involved with
managing the side effects than the disease itself. Our preference is to keep
the dose low as long as possible even tho' the disorder can be pretty
incapacitating (my family member with PD  takes 2 , 200/50CR/day plus 1
regular 10/100  and has had the disorder for 10 yrs, is fairly incapacitated,
but has little difficulty with dyskinesia, and still works in a high stress
job fulltime).

Hope this is of some help.

Delana Vaughan (CG33y)

P.S. When I was growing up with PD in a period when my mom had it, Symmetrel
was not available and carbidopa was not available. I remember a very sick Mom
as she had great difficulty tolerating "raw" L-DOPA. I guess I have to say
drug treatment has come a long way since then even tho' it's far from ideal.