>Date:    Wed, 3 Jan 1996 11:14:08 -0500
>From:  Rachael Albert <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:       a question about diet
>
>I am a bit worried about the fact that my mother has started to
>eat a very low protein diet.  I understand that a low protein
>diet is helpful in enhancing the affects of some medication,
>but I am a little confused about this.  My mother is not yet taking
>Sinemet (she is on Eldepryl and Amantadine).  Dairy protein
>she thinks is the worst.  She was already eating a pretty low
>protein diet before - no red meat and a little chicken and fish.
>The real reason this worries me is that she is losing weight
>and having a hard time keeping her weight up.

>I would love to hear some feedback.  I feel like an over-worried
>daughter!>
>Thanks!

Dear Rachael:

Your concerns are understandable and important. I have similar problems with

trying to maintain a balanced diet. I do take sinemet (liquid) and find that

the frequency of dosage (every two hours, or every hour depending on my
symptoms) leaves me with little, or no time to eat.  I was never a big
consumer of protein and now I hardly eat any. A couple of days ago I started

to drink an ENSURE to supplement my diet in the evening.  I took this step
because I have lost 10lbs. and my family and friends have been on my case
about my appearance. Are there any suggestions from the group on resolving
this problem? Thanks for your input.
Regards,
Margaret Tuchman