This is for all the wonderfully thoughtful folks on the main PD list
and the Caregivers (CARE) sublist who have asked about Peter's progress
after surgery.  With daughter's help we brought him home this A.M.--he
was in a chair when we got to the hospital, and able to walk--gingerly,
but determined  to do it alone as much as he could....Now home, resting,
but not needing pain pill for a while, a good sign. I was so grateful that
he could stay overnight , as he needed the Demerol--thank goodness he's
not on Eldepryl now.  I thought I'd share with you all the thoughts I had
last night andthis morning, since we do share poetry  here  at times:

                AT THE HOSPITAL--January

                Evening:

                From the window--
                sky, a featureless grey,
                sheds light snow, falling like perpetual motion.

                Far below, the Hospital Entrance sign
                punctuates the dusk,
                and a snow-iced patio features yews
                trimmed like a baker's dozen
                of cupcakes.

                Distance and glass insulate me from cold,
                from sounds of traffic,
                from snow-dusted workers
                sneaking a smoke in defiance of weather,
                their other witnesses only
                the mourning doves
                studding the bare branches of patio trees.

                It is sombre and still,
                outside and inside this room,
                where my love lies under blankets
                as white as the snow icing the cupcake-yews.
                I keep watch as he slowly surfaces from
                drug-induced slumber
                that succeeds the surgeon's blade.

                The snow grows denser,
                the pain returns.

                Morning:
                On the phone, a tentative voice-- "I need you here,
                when will you come?"
                But when I reach the hospital,
                he is seated in a chair,  revived.

                We make our cautious way into the glistening world,
                still frosted, but sparkling in sunshine--
                a new day has begun!

                             Camilla H. Flintermann, 1/4/96

 Thanks again for all the help and loving messages to us both.
Camilla, CG for Peter  76/6+