I definitely think our doctors could benefit from pooled knowledge via
some sort of computerized summary of information (like the abstract at the
beginning of a research article), especially regarding new findings of
dangerous drug interactions.
For example, a year and a half ago, I underwent several hours' worth of
surgery on my right ankle.  Though I faithfully reported all the PD drugs
I was taking before the surgery, no one seemed to know that Eldepryl and
Demerol, taken together, can have serious consequences.  Nor did I know that
at the time, either, becasue I hadn't discovered this list.  In retrospect,
I think I was lucky that I had no bad reaction, because I certainly scarfed
down the Demerol!!
If my surgeon, anaesthesiologist, nurses and everyone else involved could
have dropped these drug names into a computer and checked for interactions
first (assuming that info could be compiled from the many sources), I would
think they would have kept me on morphine instead for safety's sake.
Am I wrong here?
Remember, this is from the Queen of Computer Illiteracy.....sorry, I got on
a roll.
Marti Eiermann