>wanted to know if anyone else was struggling with this, or has had
>experience with Emory, or Mitochondria

Drs. Wallace and Shoffner at Emory are the best in the business of
mitochondria. The impact of defects in mitochondrial DNA (we all have DNA not
only in the nuclei of our cells but also in our mitochondria) on degenerative
disorders like PD and Alzheimer's is just coming to the attention of
geneticists and neurologists in about the last 5 yrs or so. The mitochondria
are like the lungs of the cell. They require oxygen (and other raw materials)
to ultimately produce energy (ATP). Any number of things can impair the
energy-producing process (known as oxidative phosphorylation or OXPHOS). As
we age, we accumulate mutations (not necessarily inherited ones) that occur
due to "hits" on our mitochondrial DNA from free radical damage etc.(hence,
many of you take Vit.E, C, etc. to reduce free radicals). Wallace and
colleagues have shown that in the course of normal aging, the brain
accumulates these mutations and that the brains of people with PD accumulate
these mutations to a greater extent than the average aging person.
 Eventually an "expression threshhold" is reached where one accumulates
enough mutations that their OXPHOS capacity (in mitochondria) is impaired and
shows up in the form of physical symptoms. Just what roll these mutational
accumulations play in PD is still not known. It's just known that there are
more mutations present in the PD brains that have been studied than in
age-matched "normal" people. On the flip side of the coin, there are a whole
group of well-characterized mitochondrial disorders known as "mitochondrial
myopathies" (pain, wekaness, stiffness, cramps) or "mitochondrial
encephalopmyopathies" (neurologic symptoms such as seizures, stroke) that
have specific mutations that are usually inherited.
...more later if you have specific questions - this is getting too long. It's
good to go to Emory if there is significant indication from a neurologist
that a mitochondrial disorder may be at the root of your problem.

Delana Vaughan