Re: Marti Eierman's post about drugs/computers: We have just had an
example of the need for such a program...on Peter's first night home after
surgery. In hospital he was given Percocet for pain, several doses, and i gave
him 2 more at home, before discovering that this med, also called Roxicet,
is actually a combination of OXYCODONE and Acetaminophe. I had carefully
shown lists of "no-no" drugs from this list to surgeon and anesthesiologist
well ahead of time, including a warning based on someone's experience that
dopamine antagonists such as Fentenyl,Meperidine(Demerol) and OXYCODONE
should be avoided. Soon after he got home, Peter was very unsteady--worse
than I've ever seen him, but it wasn't till 4:OO A.M., after almost no sleep,
I discovered in the pharmacist's printout thename Oxycodone, as the actual
bottle of *generic* Percocet was labeled "Roxicet".  I'm so upset because
we tried so hard to avoid something like this! Of course, I gave him a 25/100
Sinemet booster, and later his first dose of SCR 50/200. I can't wait to
yell at someone about this!  I suppose that doctors who dispense so many
drugs have a hard time with this , and a computer program would be a real
assist.  But friends, please be aware that there may be*3 layers of nomen-
clature for one drug* and you have to check them ALL to be sure what you're
getting !  Fortunately , I think/hope the only bad effect will be a temporary
dopamine deficiency--it could have been worse.
Camilla Flintermann,CG for Peter,76/6+