>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: [log in to unmask] (Steven E. Mayer)
>Subject: Mitochondria in Parkinsonism & Emory U.
>

>I may be able to shed some light on the role of mitochondria in brain
aerobic (oxygen-using) metabolism. As far as the Emory PD surgery group is
concerned, it has achieved a great deal of  success with pallidotomy to
treat PD with minimum serious after-effects. The waiting list for surgery is
said to be 2 1/2 years and follows very carefull evaluation. I am an
ex-Emory professor (in pharmacology and brain chemistry). I wait along with
all the others.  Mitochondria are normal constituents of almost all types of
organisms and cellls (except prokaryocytes - bacteria).  Mitochondria are
essential for the synthesis of energy-rich compounds, that are used by cells
to contract (muscle), transport (kidney), synthesize neurotransmitters (e.g.
L-dopamine), generate electrical impulses (nerve cells). Brain mitochondria
are near the top in concentration compared to other cells. They are
absolutely necessary for life. A few minutes of deprivation of oxygen and
glucose in the blood perfusing the brain is fatal for most nerve cells when
they are deprived of the fuel the mitochondrial engine converts into the
energy needed for nerves to conduct electric current, to synthesize
neurotransmitters, maintain the normal salt-water balance of the brain, etc.
I have had experience doing research on brain mitochondria, in fact, at
Emory, where I was on the medical school faculty from 1957-1969 (I am not a
neurosurgeon). My subsequent research at the University of California, San
Diego (1969-1985) and Vanderbilt University Medical center has involved
studies of toxins, such as mercury and lead on brain cell mitochondria.
Your E-mail message suggesred that your mother is struggling with
mitochondria (instead of PD?). Her brain mitochondria may be damaged, which
in turn may produce (some) PD symptoms. PD is unlikely to be a disease
primary to mitochondria, but the oxidative capacity of nigrostriatal
neuronal mitochondria might be the site of an environmental toxin
(MPTP-like??) or a defect in the synthesis or utilization by brain cells of
a substance(s) the cells synthesize: NADH (Nicotinamide adenine dinuceotide,
reduced) NADH is absolutely essential for the synthesis of high-energy
compounds by brain mitochondria by participating in electron transport
coupled to high-energyphosphate bond formation. If this is compromisedn
manner, the capacity of dopamine-producing cells in selected areas of the
brain will be compromised, a dopamine deficiency results leading to
parkinsonism. This is, as yet, a big hypothesis to swallow, but it makes
sense. SEE J.R. NEWBROUGH, 12/24/9 message [log in to unmask]
This does not instantly make NADH the miracle-drug for PD..Based in part on
my own work on brain high-ebergy compounds, I am skeptical that NADH would
make a useful drug. A problem would be how to get the NADH to its putative
site(s) of action which may be located at possibly inaccessible sites within
the nerve cells. I have frequently noted complaints from readers that a new
candidate drug has not been tested, depriving possible benefits to ill and
loved patients. Unfortunately, thousands of promising therapeutic agents
never make it from the cell culture to the patient, because of the tactical
problem(s)  encountered in trying to get the drug to the right place at the
right time in effective, but non-toxic concentrations. A challenge to us
biochemists and pharmacologists, indeed.  This is by no means a complete
review, nor is it very literate. I'd be glad to help within the limits
imposed by the 24 hour day and the demands by memmbers of our household who
believe they own the computer.

Steven E. Mayer, Ph.D.