From: Brian Symonds   <[log in to unmask]>

Hello Virginia
Thank you for your note about using mineral oil to treat constipation. You
commented that there is concern about using mineral oil because it "I would
hesitate to recommend mineral oil under any circumstances since it washes
vital nutrients out of the system and I believe people with Parkinson need
all the help they can get with vitamins and essential
minerals. I also know that as a last resort we are sometimes forced to
do what we may not feel is the best solution."
In medical school we were also told this. There has always been concern that
the long term (months) use of mineral would cause fat soluble substances
(such as the fat soluble vitamins, A,D, K, E) to be pulled through the bowel
unabsorbed, which would be harmful to our bodies. The clinical studies have
been equivocal regarding this belief. At least one recent study has suggested
that at small amounts of mineral oil (one tablespoon a day) this is very
unlikely to happen. But I think that most doctors and nutritionists continue
to be leery about using it for long periods of time. Someone else might have
better information on this question than I do though.