Patricia Yothers asked about the use of Demerol,etc. with surgery. I'll
share what I have learned, and hope others will also.   Demerol is very
dangerous for those who are taking ELDEPRYL(Depranyl/selegiline), not so
for other PD meds. Peter was able to take it as shots for pain after his
surgery because he is no longer on Eldepryl, only Sinemet. However, there are
several lists in the archives which Alan Bonander has compiled of drugs that
should be avoided.  We told the anesthesiologist not to use Fentenyl, and
TRIED unsuccessfully to rule out Oxycodone(an opiate which is in Perconet
(Roxinet)in combination with acetominaphen,but not listed onthe Rx, as it is
the chemical name.  We are now told that ALL opiate  painkillers  are suspect,
and we should specify not to have them, as they are dopamine antagonists, which
compete with the Sinemet etc. for access to the dopamine receptors in the
brain.Peter's symptoms got steadily worse after they gave him Percocet. Bottom
line seems to be that we have to check all names for a drug--brand,generic,
and chemical, even when we have the list, as even pharmacists' computers
can slip up--and with Demerol/Eldepryl, it can be life-threatening. :-(
Hope this helps--stay connected.
Camilla Flintermann,CG for Peter, 76/6+