From: Barbara Duffin-Bates <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: PRAMIPEXOLE

Barb -

My husband has been taking part in the test for pramipexole for the
past two years.  It has been an interesting, and frustrating,
experience.  The test came at a good time for us because
Iain had been on sinemet/bromochriptine/eldepryl for years and was
having a violent reaction to them.  Now, 2 years later, he is on the
highest level of pramipexole (level 7), with eldepryl twice a day,
and 1/2 tablet simemet 25/100 3 times a day.  So, his sinemet dosage
is way down, but his dyskinesia has come back with a vengeance.  And
he really crashes between dosages.   We have always felt that he would
do better with a lower dosage, maybe 4 times a day instead of 3, but
the constraints of the test forbid this.  The testing of a new drug is
extremely rigid (we must account for every pill) and no alteration of
procedure is permitted, even if it would benefit the patient and make
their drug look even better.  We have tried taking the sinemet and
the pramipexole at different times, but that didn't work at all.
Even taking the pramipexole with a quarter tablet of sinemet does
nothing.  It seems that a certain level of sinemet is necessary to
"kick start" the pramipexole.
So, my opinion is that this is not a wonder drug - the side effects
seem to be much like sinemet.  But perhaps, once the drug is released
and we can adjust the dosage times and levels, things will get better.
Here's hoping.
Like you, I would be interested in hearing how other people
participating in the study are faring.

thanks for asking.
Barb Bates

ps. my husband does not have RLS.