On  Sun, 7 Jan 1996 Frank A. Nagy wrote:
>Subject:       Hi from a new member and some access ideas
>Having said all that, I must admit to being ENRAGED at the fact that her PD
>has gone un-diagnosed for (as near as we can tell) five years. At the
>outset of symptoms she insisted (based on the diagnosis of her
>chiropractor) that she was experiencing a pinched nerve in her shoulder and
>that her vitamins, massage, and chiropractor would straighten the matter
>out in short order. Five years, probably tons of vitamins, and close to 400
>chiropractic treatments (three different chiropractors), bunches of
>accupuncture and accupressure treatments, God-knows-how-many massages, and
>numerous tilts at many more windmills later, I was finally able to convince
>her to visit Cleveland Clinic where her PD was diagnosed and a treatment
>regimen prescribed. The rate of progression seems to have slowed somewhat
>since but I can't help wonder how much pain and suffering she has been
>caused in the intermediate five years since her symptoms first appeared.
>End of rant... sorry.

Frank: your rage is justified and well expressed. Being hungarian, a
deduction made based on your last name (Nagy=Big), your emotions are strong
and not easily hidden..:) The only consolation I can offer is that many (if
not most) of us have travelled a circuitous road before a correct diagnosis
was made. After my yo-yo games with a neurologist (pinched nerve diagnosis)
and chiropractor (giving me much needed adjustments, but totally unrelated
to my real problem) it was a girl-friend of one of my husband's colleagues,
who sitting next to me on a long plane ride, observed the
cogwheeling/tenting and tremor of my left hand and suggested that I may have
PD. Granted, she was an RN who was professional and also kind by not
disclosing her thoughts until after the trip.
I believe that alternative therapies are beneficial, but in this instance
they need to be an adjunct to traditional medicine. You will find this forum
open and informative.
Regards,
Margaret Tuchman (another hungarian)