At 10:42 AM 1/9/96 -0500, Richard Thompson wrote:

>I'm new to the Parkinson's List and new to online lists in general, but I
>thought I'd submit the following suggestion to those programmer types who
>are doing this great service for the PD community... why don't you include
>the document ID number with the title of each doc. in the digest "Topics of
>the day" list. That would make it much easier to request a copy of a
>specific document from the server without the intermediate search for the
>number.

Richard, the programmer types who wrote listserv couldn't even spell
parkinsn let alone care about making things 'easier'...:( Listserv is a main
frame program that doesn't care about PC and Mac mail programs. Things will
not be made easier, because we do not reside in their universe of 'important
things'.

Since the 'little people' are not important, and we only exist at the feet
of the 'gods' that be, we have some work arounds that work reasonably well,
in some cases, if we want to spend a little additional money.

We have three subscription mail options, mail(individual messages), index(a
index of previous days messages with ordering options), and
digest(individual messages bundled together at the end of the day and sent
overnight).

The most labor saving method to do what you want is to get an additional
username from your ISP and subscribe with the mail option set to index. That
way, every morning, your digest will appear as normal. Your mail program on
the other hand will have to have two setup files, one that you are using now
and one that you will use when using the other user name. This may require
two phone calls to get mail, and then the index in the morning.

The preceeding paragraph could make it more difficult, so use the 'tools'
with the date option to determine index number and number of lines in the
previous days post.

This is an example which is one of several found in "Finding information in
Parkinson Archives by E-mail 1/1/96" which I post here regularly. It's
generally the folks who complain about long posts that discard this document
without knowing that it will answer their next question.

Richard, if you want to know what the index numbers were for yesterday's
messages, which was January 9, 1996, you would send a message to:

In the body of the message paste this..ONLY:

//DBlook   JOB   Echo=No
Database Search DD=Rules
//Rules DD *
select * in parkinsn FROM 96/1/9 TO 96/1/9

If you wish to do this for any other period, simply change the FROM and TO
dates in the yymmdd format. Listserv computer time and maximum lines
considerations are in effect which may limit your output. Information like
this is found in: "Finding information in Parkinson Archives by E-mail 1/1/96".

WYSIWYG with the listserv, nothing more, nothing less. It will not change. A
new version is due to be installed this Spring but it does not do anything
differently than the previous editions. Learn to use the 'tools' and you
will be a very happy camper!

John Cottingham    "The parkinsn list brings Knowledge, Comfort, Hope, and
                    Friendship to the parkinsonian world."
                    Parkinson's Chat on the Undernet 8:30 PM CST -6 Daily.
                    If you access the Internet through a provider with a
[log in to unmask]     PPP/SLIP account, free IRC chat software is available. WFD