Dr. Stanley Fahn at Columbia-Presbyterian in New York comments on the UK
report of iincreased mortality in the patients takiing deprenyl (Eldepryl.
"We have read the report from the UK regarding the finding of increased
mortality in patients treated with L-dopa plus deprenyl compared to those
placed on just L-dopa (without deprenyl.  This increase in mortality occurred
3 to 5 years after starting that study.  The UK report should be considered
preliminary, for there are many unanswered questions, including:  1.  How
many patients continued on deprenyl once placed on it?  2.  How many patients
originally assigned to the non-deprenyl group were eventually placed on it?
 In other words, there was no information in the paper on commpliance with
treatment assignments.  3.  Many of the patients were lost to follow-up so
the data are incomplete, and 4.  no information was given as to the causes of
death.
The UK investigators did not report what they are recommending to patients
under their care.  The only advice in their paper is to have patients talk to
their own doctors.  This is sound advice on every drug, not just deprenyl.
Here is our view:  Because the report is preliminary, we are not yet
convinced that taking deprenyl actually leads to increased death after  3-5
years.  Nevertheless, we take the report seriously and divide our
recommendations into two categories:  1.  For our patients taking deprenyl
along with L-dopa (usualllly in the form of Sinemet>, we recommend that if
deprenyl is helping to control the symptoms of parkinsonism, it should be
continued.  If it is not helping, then it should be discontinued.  If one
doesn't kmow if it is helping or not, one can test this by stopping the drug
and seeing if it makes any difference.  2.  For our patients on deprenyl
without concomitant L-dopa, there is no indication that deprenyl should be
discontinued.