For those of you who might be interested, here is some more specific
information about Netcom someone gave to me.

    Netcom Online Communications
    1-800-501-8649 or 408-554-8649
    (San Jose, CA)
    *Software is sent directly to home for free; can be purchased at
local store where software is sold; if ordered over the phone, the $25
dollar activation fee is waived.  The monthly charge is 19.95--prorated
to the end of the month. Monthly fee covers 40 hrs. peak time usage
(9a-12mn M-F; all other times of use is free.
    *Ask for credit card # when ordering and installing software.
    *We priced this software at a local store at $40.