         Patricia Yothers said ----

Someone help me here, I also, as you so aptly put it "scarfed down the
Demoral" when I had Gall Stone surgery.  Several months later I started
having Parkinson symptoms and eventually a diagnosis. Is Demoral
dangerous only if you are taking PD medications or is it dangerous if
you're a prospective Parkinson's person?  I'm wondering if there was a
connection between the anesthetic and pain relievers during surgery and
the PD.

         Edwin Partridge replies ----

I have a similar history. I had surgery for a hernia, with related
complications, which was extremely painful. In the hospital they gave me
shots of demerol. During my recovery, a severe hyperthyroid condition
developed. Several months later, Parkinsonian symptoms developed, and
then I was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. I was devastated. I asked
the neurologist, why is all of this happening to me at this time?

She said that it is common for Parkinson's disease to appear soon after
an extreme trauma, such as an automobile accident, or similar injurious
event. And so, also, I would like to point out, after demerol has been
used as a pain killer in the hospital!

In the third edition of `Parkinson's Disease - A Guide for Patient and
Family', written by Roger C. Duvoison, MD, on page 163, the drug MPTP is
said to be "closely related to meperidine (demerol)." MPTP is sometimes
a by-product when illicit drugs are prepared, especially if the reaction
is run at too high a temperature. MPTP is, of course, the drug which
produces Parkinson-like conditions in drug addicts, and also in monkeys
in the laboratory.

I advise everyone to stay away from demerol, especially anyone who
already has symptoms of Parkinson's disease. That is hard to do, because
it is used so widely as a pain-killer.