s a way of introduction let me say that I am a fortunate CG for
PD patient of 19 years. My wife Jeannette was diagnosed with PD
within two months following a Swine Flu injection. Her symptoms
came within days but were not recognized and diagnosed until we
visited an well known neurologist associated with Menninger
Clinic in Topeka. This diagnosis was confirmed at KU Medical
Center in Kansas City.

In all the years since, she has been a model patient with a
determination to live an abundant life with PD until the
cure is found! She has had great difficulty in 1995 in
controlling the medication for PD due to a flare-up of Systemic
Lupus which is still being treated today.

After joining the Internet I did some browsing to see what the
world out there had to offer in terms of medical possibilities.
I didn't expect to find much but was amazed at the offerings
available. I stumbled onto the PARKINSN net and have been
reading the mail since. What a wealth of information and concern!

We found that Jeannette is taking much smaller doses of Sinemet
than many on the net. She began treatment with Amantadine, then
graduated to 10/100 Sinement, added Parlodel (Bromocriptine) in
1982 and added Eldepryl (selegline) about 4 years ago. Today she
take the same medications execpt we have had to add Sinemet CR
25/100 morning and evening. She if fortunate not to have many of
the other complications common to PD other than occasional sleep
problems.

I recently heard of the Morris K. Udall bill and am writing a
letter to Senator Nancy Kassebaum, Chairperson of the Human
Resources committee, to urge passage of the bill even though
she currently has some objections to its content. We hope she
will look favorably on the bill to enable additional research
to be accomplished in the immediate future. I would urge that
each of us write our congressional senators to get the Morris
K. Udall bill passed....immediately.

Our best to the 'Parkies' and CGs out there for a great new
year!

E. Jack Savely
Ad Astra per Aspera  -  'To the Stars through Difficulty'