Some time ago I read several messages that pertained to problems
with turning over in bed. 5 years ago, I purchased a set of Satin
sheets from JC Pennys. It made a lot of difference in my ability
to turn over in bed. Later on, one of my children gave me a pair
silk PJ's and this allowed me to turn over even easier. About 2
years ago, they were in need of replacement and my wife purchased
me (what she thought was) a pair of silk PJ's from the Victoria's
Secret catalog. Much to my surprise, these PJ's allowed me to move
around with very little effort at all. I wondered what the difference
was but just accepted it and didn't think any more about it until a
couple months later when I happened to read the label on the inside
of the pants. They weren't silk after all but were made of imported
polyester. Hmm? It was time to make a comparison. I tested the old
silk PJ's against the new polyester and their was a very noticable
ease of movement with the polyester PJ's on. Then about a year later
I happened across another tidbit of useful information. My bed is of
the kingsize type so the bottom sheet is more or less square and can
be put on either of 2 ways. Using the tag as a reference point, I
put the the sheet on one way and found I could move left to right
very easy, but it took a bit more effort to move top to bottom. I
then moved the sheet 90 degrees and found just the opposite. I
could now move top to bottom easier but it took a bit more effort
to move from side to side. All I can say is that it must be some-
thing in the way the sheets are made. Now, I just put the sheet on
in such a manner that its easiest to move side to side. I hardly
ever wake myself up by turning over now. However, the story doesn't
end here. After several hundred washings, anything is apt to wear
pretty thin and so went the polyester PJ's. I started looking for
replacements in all the major catalogs and went to several large
department stores. Silk PJ's yes, polyester, no. I found the phone
number for a Victoria's Secret store in Illinois and called to inquire
about the polyester PJ's availablity. Much to my chagrin, I was told
that VS no longer carried this item. What to do, what to do? I then
remembered a local seamstress who I had do some work for me several
years ago so I called and asked if she could make a pair and the answer
was yes, did I want her to get the material or did I want to procure it?
I said I would so I dropped by the local Wal Marts and headed to the
area where the cloth was. I started to buy a couple yards of polyester
cloth for the color & design was of little consequence to me, as long
as it was polyester. I'm not sure why I did it, but I purchased 4 diff
erent pieces and took them home. When there, I took a small pillow and
pinned a piece of each type of cloth around it. I then proceeded to
slide it around on the sheet. Thats when I found that it slid much
easier one direction than it did the other, sort of like the sheet/
PJ test earlier. I found all four pieces of polyester to be the same
way. I could end the story right here on a happy note but another
discovery took things even farther (or slippier). One of the 4 pieces
of cloth was slightly different than the others in that on one side
the pattern had the typical shiney polyester look. The other side was
rather dull in comparison. I'm not sure why I did it but I pinned the
dull side out and lo and behold, it was super slick compared to the
shiney side or the other 3 pieces. Oddly enough, it didn't seem to
make any difference which way it was turned. I returned and purchased
several yards of the cloth and now have a pair of slightly dull red
PJ's. They slide so easy that I find it extremely hard to sit up and
read in bed; I keep on sliding down. I realize this carries the subject
pretty far but I hope there are those of you out there who might benefit
from all of my "experience". In a 5 year period, it took me from waking
myself up every time I tried to turn over, with thoughts of putting a
pull bar over the top of the bed, to moving about with utter ease.