My husband and I are newly subscribed to this list and were asked to give a
short bio or who we are and what interest we have in the list.

My husband, Mark's, father has had Parkinson's for 25 years or more.  He is
currently 69 and lost a brother just a couple of years older to Parkinson's
a few years back.  As we don't know if this could be hereditary or not. .
.it seems strange that two in the same family got it!  Has this been the
experience of anyone else on this list?  At one time the doctors suggested
it could be due to pesticides used in the family gardening business years
and years ago when they were children.

My father-in-law has annual checkups in Rochester and has his medications
constantly monitored and changed as the need arises.  At one point he was
eligible for a blind study of a new medication, but decided not to
participate due to the lengthy drive back and forth to Rochester from here.
. .Iowa.  He has just lost his wife to cancer 2 weeks ago and now we are
going to have to place him in a nursing home.  This is very difficult as he
is between independent living and needing constant care.  His loving wife
was devoted to him 24 hours a day and maybe did TOO much for him!  He seems
to be getting quite confused at times and we know he has been under much
stress due to his wife's illness and death.  However, we are hearing more
and more that Parkinson's is connected to Alzheimer's in some way.  Does
anyone else have any information on this?

We have recently found a speech therapist to take my father-in-law to who
helped him by giving him an alphabet chart on which he is to point to the
first letter of each word before he says it.  It slows him down and enables
the rest of us to get an idea of what the word is going to be.  The results
were miraculous!!!  He speaks loud and crystal clear when using the chart. .
.but has made it more of a "magic trick" to amaze his newest audience with
and then puts the chart away!  This is very frustrating for the rest of us
as we have all been struggling with trying to understand what he has been
saying for the past 20 years or so!  We don't know if he is now doing this
for attention or if he's just lazy!  Any one else go through this?  He won't
be able to communicate with the elderly people in the nursing home without
the chart because they will never be able to understand him!

Well. . .so as not to make this any longer, I will end for now.  We are
looking forward to any advice or information anyone on this list can offer.
It's nice to know the problems of others in this same situation. . .makes us
not feel so alone! :-)

Mark & Tammy Gargano
Mark Gargano
Fort Dodge, IA