I agree. Meanwhile, those interested might want to read the original report
in the British Medical Journal (16 Dec 95) for themselves. The mortality
data certainly look valid. According to the authors, the difference (due to
Eldepryl) was 18.6 per 1000 patient-years, equivalent to one extra death for
each 54 patients treated for one year. Notably the developer of Eldepryl,
W. Birkmayer, reported from his study just the opposite, that those given
Eldepryl had reduced mortality compared with controls. Age of the test
subjects might have been a factor, but I didn't see anything about that.

Eldepryl is not the only drug (approved or not) having potentially lethal
side effect, but to my knowledge it's the only one actually quantified. For
another example, consider tobacco smoking, whose low incidence among PD
sufferers has led some to suspect it may protect against PD. Knowing the
widely publicized reputation of tobacco as a killer, would you smoke if
you thought it might prevent or help your PD? I understand some have done
just that.

The position of doctors prescribing Eldepryl, or of the maker selling it,
is somewhat different, because they can get sued. Therefore I should expect,
even if they believe the benefits outweigh the risks, they would prefer
to let patients do without. And who could blame them?

Cheers (?), Joe

J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road
Sherman Oaks CA 91403