Hi to all  and THANKS for the Permax information. Next week I will send
a summary to the list.

Keeping Track
Sorry for the length of this posting. I am using 1000 words because the
picture gets messed up in transmission.

Some list members have been talking about record keeping. My records are
like my New Year resolutions------ I am lucky if I last a day!

But before a Neuro appointment and when changing med quantities or kinds
I try to keep a record of my parkinson drugs and symptoms for at least
two days --4 is twice as good.

I use a  'CHART' I developed over many years.  I have an artistic version
(using my computer graphics)  but it won't reproduce on internet mail.
However if I describe some of the basic features of the chart, you can
draw your own on a lined writing pad.

1) up and down the left side of the paper I draw  a time line -just a
vertical line with the hours indicated by little horizontal lines.

2) beside the time line I leave a space to mark when and what meds I take.

3) The next  section  is the  important one.  It is where I record my
condition /  how I feel at each hour of the day.  (sometimes I need to
look at Half-Hour time periods)

4)I use a rating scale like you find on consumer surveys with  a five
point assessment. Use your own symptoms for your chart.
Bad stiffness &can't get around Code is two - -
Some stiffness but can function  Code is one -
As close to normal as I ever get  Code is OK
A hint of extra movement   Code is one +
Involuntary movements an annoying problem  Code is two ++

5)These codes are set out like this
        --      -    OK   +    ++

6)And  each hour I mark an x in the correct column. I keep everything
neat by having another vertical line (like the time line) under the OK
Here is an example of a horrible afternoon
      --   -   ok   +   ++
1pm             x                 notes
2pm        x
3pm        x
4pm    x
5pm        x
6pm             x

7) You can write notes in the space alongside each x  when needed

8)Repeat for the whole day with   pilltimes,  naptimes,  foodtimes all
marked down the timeline  and you get a picture of what your day was
like. It is even clearer if you use a coloured marker to join the x marks.

9) The target you are trying for is a day where most of the time the x
marks line up along the OK line and you don't spend any time  on the
fringes with  -- or++

10)When you have two or three days charted you can compare the coloured
lines which link up the x  marks and a pattern may just jump out at you.

11)When interpreting your charts it helps to know the normal wait time
for your meds as well as their total effective time.

12) The first time your neuro sees the charts you will have to explain
the system but some neuros can learn to use them  ;-)
 ---My neuro says they are helpful specially when  adjusting meds.

Hope this helps someone
Anne Rutherford  <<[log in to unmask]>>
Newfoundland