From: Brian Symonds   <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Bill
I enjoyed your comments regarding K's trial.
I guess I would wonder if legal action would have the effect of not only
discouraging the accusers from repeating their behaviour, but repeating any
behaviour even if it had merits, and also discouraging anyone else who knew
about what happened from reporting things to authorities, even if they had
merit. If it was safe to report things, we wouldn't need witness protection
programs, and Crime Stoppers, and perhaps more cases of abuse and drug use
etc. might get reported.
K's accusers may not feel that they are actually accusers. I'm still not
clear exactly what they reported, the information I saw suggested that they
only said that they were worried that K might hurt someone when driving. If
that is true, it is not an accusation or even an observation. The problem in
this light I think is how the governmental agency acted on their letter, and
the role K's doctor played in this. I don't think that it can be concluded
that they are not sorry. They may still be ignorant of the problems they
caused.
I agree with your observation of people who maliciously take advantage of the
legal system being punished severely, and with your observations about how
anonymouse information should be used (or rather not used). It is still
puzzling as to why the motor vehicle licencing agency proceeded as they did.
As regards K having traffic violations as a sign of bad driving, there is
such a process here in Canada as well, but it only works for certain types of
traffic offences (eg, speeding). I can't remember the statistics, but a large
percentage of accidents here are caused by people developing a dementia who
have no prior traffic violations. I know a man here recently who caused a
traffic accident (fortunately no one was seriously hurt), and the police did
not charge him or report him to the licencing authority because "he was a
nice gentleman". He was developing a dementia and had lost perceptual skills.
He had to take a driving test when his doctor reported him, and now can't
drive because he can't turn properly. It is harder to catch people with early
dementia on a standard driver's test. I'm not implying that K has dementia,
only that people may have physical or perceptual or cognitive problems at an
early stage and be the cause of accidents. Since MVAs are a big cause of
mortality and morbidity in our society, we need to have some way to pick up
people who may be developing problems before even they may be aware of them.
Thanks for your comments. BS