K's troubles aren't so far from home, I think its quite common for
Parkinsonians to be tried and convicted with out the opportunity to face
their accusers or give any defense.  I work for the Oregon Department of
Revenue as an industrial appraiser. Because of my position with the
department I would on occasion drive a state owned vehicle. One day as I was
driving home from a job I picked up a tailgater. The tailgater followed me
for about a block and then another lane was available. I quickly moved to
the right lane. I guess when I moved to the other lane it was kind of jerky
as I was annoyed by the tailgater . Later that afternoon a call came into
the state Department of Administrative Services (DAS) with a complaint about
my driving. The complaint had me driving where I had never been that day and
the description of my driving was woven out of whole cloth. The next day my
supervisor called me in and told me that because of the call I could no
longer drive any state owned vehicles and I was prohibited from visiting the
working floor of any industrial plant. I was  not given the opportunity to
answer the accusations because I was not shown a copy of the complaint until
much later. The result was a conviction without a trial . The prohibition
from visiting any industrial plant threatened my livelihood since my
profession was an industrial appraiser. It was a full year later after my
pallidotomy when I was allowed to return to industrial plants. I felt that
my rights had been trampled on in at least two ways. One ,I was not given
the opportunity to face my accuser and refute the story and two, the
arbitrary prohibition from doing the things that I do. I think the
department's actions violated A.D.A. There are people who are ready to
report anything especially when driving a state car.
David Moreland  [log in to unmask]