Dear Cathy:

You wrote:
> - I need some information about Amitriptyline and saw on your
>response to Patrick's survey that you are on this medication.  My mother -
> 82
>years old, diagnosed with PD about 5 years ago, also suffers with arthritis
>and fibrositis (fibromyalgia).  Presently, she takes a total of l l/2
> Sinemet
>CR (50/200) and l/2 regular Sinemet (25/100) per day.

My neuro started me on Elavil, 11/92, when Benadryl was no longer effective
as a sleeping aid. His feelings were that amytriptyline is a medication of
choice, it being a trycyclic. Initially, the results were positive, I
experienced no negative side effects.  During the past three years I have
had many adjustments in my sinemet dosages trying to control the
off-periods. None have been successful for any length of time. Additionally,
my insomnia was returning, so I also began to take Alprazolam (.25mg) in
6/95. This combo seems to work, although I have added melatonin (3mg) so I
cannot really judge what does what? I get about 6 hours of sleep per night -
that seems to keep me going.
When I was checking on counterindications for amytriptyline, I noted that
arthritis was listed -- you should double check that!

>  Also, you mentioned that you exercise and do "Feldenkreis movements"  -
>what are they??

Here is a summary of what Feldenkrais Awareness Through Movement is: a
licensed practitioner verbally guides one through a sequence of movements in
basic positions; sitting, lying down, standing and walking  to re-educate
the body, mind and sensations to coordinate a better, smarter way of moving.
It is not exercising the body to become stronger, it is becoming aware of
habits and patterns that may be interfering with ease of movement. People
get stuck moving and holding themselves , unconsciously, in certain ways.
With the teacher's help, small, repetitive movements are practiced so that
they become the new form. Correct breathing and relaxation are incorporated
as well. For example, athritic patients can learn to move without stressing
the affected joints. I am learning to identify the source of my neck
dystonia and with gentle, slow, small movements release the spasm. I've been
practicing how to turn over in bed; get up with more ease from lying down;
stand up from a chair while I am in the midst of bradykinesia; use my
breathing to help me release rigidity and tremor.
Moshe Feldenkrais (1904-1984) developed his Method to deal with a crippling
knee injury.  He had a PhD in engineering and physics and synthesized that
background with his knowledge about martial arts, biology, perinatal
development and athletics. Among his students were David Ben-Gurion,
Margaret Meade, Helen Hayes abd Julius Erving. Feldenkrais practitioners
must complete 800-1000 hours of training and are regulated by The
Feldenkrais Guid Training Board.  For a list of licensed practitioners
contact The Guild: 503-926-0981.
I am not promoting, nor am I involved with The Guild in any way.  I found my
teacher through The Guild and am having a good experience learning and
practicing how I can become more comfortable with PD.
Best wishes to your mother and you.
Margaret