Hi, I can't believe how many replies I got within 24 hours after registering!
This is exciting!
Anyway, I have become a new member because my 73 year-old mother was recently
diagnosed with Parkinson's, although we suspect she has had it for some time.
She has had shaking in her right leg for several years.
She had a partial hip replacement in August, 1994. That operation caused her
a great deal of stress, she lost about 40 pounds(over the next several months)
and was hallucinating while taking morphine. She gradually became more
mobile and graduated from being bed-ridden to using a walker to two canes
then down
to one cane. November 1995, she went to Florida with her sister. They were
together for 4 weeks, then she was alone for 3.
Her friend called us, quite alarmed, because my mother was seeing things esp.
at night. She flew back home and we did the rounds of emergency rooms, doctors,
neurologist, cat scans...and of course the diagnosis of Parkinson's.
She started on Sinemet and within 3 days felt a lot better. She said it
has removed the 'cloud of confusion' from her brain. She is walking without
a cane and seems more cheerful.
We are all still learning about Parkinson's...I can pass on more information
about my mother's other medications if anyone wants to know.
One thing I was wondering is if anyone has tried herbal remedies or
vitamin therapy? I understand certain B-vitamins are supposed to be quite
helpful, and the following herbs may help the nervous system...Valerian
and Scullcap. Also I heard the herb Ginko Biloba may help the memory and mind.
Any comments, experiences?
Thanks!
Lena Holmes   [log in to unmask]
Lena Holmes
"You can't pick the fruit unless you go out on a limb"