>    I recently saw a posting here that made a reference to the cause of PD bein
> related to co-dependency and the inability to express feelings. While I am
> extremely open to the freedom we all need to express our ideas, I must take
> exception to this one.
>    Not that I want to get on the ground floor of an arguement about brain
> chemistry and emotions, but science has pretty well proven that depression is
> result of PD, not the cause. Nor have I seen any scientific evidence of someon
> being cured of PD by breaking co-dependent personality patterns. If there is
> such verifiable evidence, I know we all would be extremely interested.

Jerry, I once quoted a study here that sited  a high incidence
of PD in alcoholics.  The cause of the PD WAS NOT alcoholism, but was
attibutable to a low concentration of dopamine already present in the
brains of those individuals which *pre-disposed* them to alcoholism.
Since there is already a link established in the scientific community
between depression and alcoholism, one must wonder what role insufficient
dopamine (a major neurotransmitter) plays in those conditions.

PLEASE NOTE:  The above statement does not lay blame for contracting PD.
It is a simple statement about a study that was done.  The reason for
siting the study again is to try to help those who have suffered from
either excessive alcohol consumption or depression *prior* to the
development of PD to understand that those conditions *may* have been
prodromal symptoms of PD--not the *cause* of the disease.

As we become more knowledgable about neurotransmitters and their function
in the developmental of psychiatric and neurological disease, we may be
discovering that what was once attributable to "free will" may actually
be symptoms and pathology of brain disease.
----
Peace and joy
Mary Ann
Zippo's mom