Alan,

Thanks for the very complete article on depression. I plan to print it
out for our next support group meeting because that's our subject.

I always read your postings with interest because we're the same age and
were diagnosed about the same time.  Your pd seems to have advanced more
vigorously than mine, but I'm just a few steps behind, and your
experiences give me hope that there are still a few weapons left in the
arsenal (e.g.shunt and palllidotomy) as my medications become less
effective.  I admire the way you seem to be handling your situation with
as much grace, intelligence, and good humor as  a human being can muster
and appreciate your informative messages on the list.

Two things struck me when I read the depression article. First was the
comment that depression hits when we're "off."  I haven't taken my
depression too seriously because that's when I experience it; once the
meds kick in and I get busy doing other things, I forget all about
depression and pd, sometimes to the extent that I forget to take the next
dose in time and then I'm off again and the whole cycle starts all over.
Sometimes I feel I could actually commit suicide when I'm off, even
though the impulse would pass as soon as the meds kick in and I'm back
on.  It's made me very aware of the chemical nature of depression.  This
disease has made schizos of all of us!

I was going to say I forgot my second point (another annoying aspect of
pd), but in the meantime it came back to me.  I've complained in the past
that my neuro has not been supportive of my desire to take a disability
retirement because he feels I'll go downhill more quickly.  He doesn't
realize all the projects I'm waiting to sink my teeth into when I get the
time.  Keeping busy works best for me because it gives me little time to
sit around feeling sorry for myself and makes me tired enough to get some
quality sleep without help (even half an ambien turns me into a zombie
the next day), even though the quantity still leaves something to be
desired.  Since I can't stand being off, I keep those depressing
tendencies at bay by heading for the computer. One thing I can do better
off than dyskinetic is type, so it's a good time to get those chores done
or just reward myself with a scrabble game, to which I am unfortunately
addicted.  So what if I can't vacuum until later?  The dust will wait.
Sometimes I find myself hoping for some off time just so I can goof off -
expecially if the dyskinesias are really annoying and debilitating.

Right now I'm cautiously optimistic about an alternative therapy I 've
undertaken.  It sounds really hokey, but I had my hair analyzed and have
begun a regimen of vitamin and mineral supplements in addition to a diet
designed to rid my body of toxic levels of copper and aluminum.  Although
I undertook the project skeptically and out of desperation, I became less
skeptical when my profile explained all the health problems I'd
experienced in my life.  I've been on the program 2 1/2 weeks and have
been noting gradual improvements in sleeping, handwriting, and balance.
I have had several episodes during which I have felt completely "normal;"
that is, like a person without pd, and am hoping to extend those
periods.  The holistic doctor who's supervising me feels this is not an
unrealistic expectation.  I'll keep the listserv posted on my progress if
there's more to report.

I didn't mean to go on so, but I did want to let you know your efforts
are appreciated.  I'm glad you keep in touch with Bill H too.  I know he
too has problems with depression and needs an outlet for his brilliant
mind, trapped as it is in a body that won't cooperate.  Do you suppose
this is some sadist's idea of the perfect hell???

Regards

Pat