This refers to the recent contributions concerning the man whose driving
licence was suspended, apparently without right of appeal. (I might not
have the exact Subject Heading that was used before.)

Readers might be interested to see extracts from a letter written by a
Doctor and published in the "Ottawa Citizen" (20th. January '96):

"More and more, I am not permitted to use my professional discretion in
handling these matters [of patient confidentiality]. I am forced to report
all patients who might not be able to drive a vehicle safely (even an
elderly patient with arthritis in his neck should be reported, according
to a recent legal decision).

The latest threat to doctor-patient confidentiality is found in the
Ontario government's omnibus bill in which it grants itself the right to
assign inspectors who can enter my office without a warrant and demand to
see my patient files. I wonder how safe a political opponent might feel
about the government having access to medical giving details of his or her
personal or medical problems.

The result of this steady erosion of privacy is a trouble public which
doesn't know where to turn in times of stress. The old days of feeling
secure in approaching a counsellor, minister, doctor or even a close
friend for a confidential talk are long gone. This is indicative of a sick
society, itself sorely in need of intensive therapy."

                                        ------

It is worth noting that this letter was awarded a prize by the newspaper
as the "Letter of the Month".

Readers outside Ontario should note that the new provincial government won
last year's election handily on a platform of "The Common Sense
Revolution".    ... No comment.

--
      * * * * Arthur Palmer * * * *
         * * Nepean, Ontario * *