> b) Regarding Eldepryl as possible mortality culprit, a subjective clue may
> be that it metabolizes to, among other things, the powerful stimulant
> amphetamine. I don't recall the reference, just read it somewhere. I
> myself had recent occasion for a blood pressure check, and noticed it had
> risen from its usual low value, 120/80, to about 130/70. Resting pulse
> rate also rose from about 55/min to 60/min or more, on dosage of 10mg/day.
> This is not medical opinion, merely a layman's guess, but just maybe
> in people who already are hypertensive (common in the elderly) Eldepryl
> somewhat raises the level of risk.

Joe, FYI.  Your BP of 130/70 is considered well within normal limits and
would never be considered an increase from 120/80 by the medical
community.  Infact, a BP of 120/80 would be considered higher than 130/80
because it is the diastolic pressure (resting pressure of the heart--or
the bottom number) that is the more significant indicator of hypertension.

Everyone out there that is concerned about BP reading please note:  BP
readings are not like temperature readings; that is to say the BP
fluctuates from moment to moment depending on activity and stress.
It would be considered normal for any individual's BP to change every five
minutes even if they were lying in bed.  I would not be alarmed, for
instance, if my patient's BP rose from 110/70 to 120/ 80 within that
interval.
-----
Peace
Mary Ann