Jim,

Since my congressman, Harold Volkmer, has recently signed on as
co-sponsor of the Udall bill, I guess we can consider this a success
story.  I just wish I could reach more of the others I've contacted - the
two senators, other Missouri reps and those on the committees, and, of
course, Nancy K.  Do we have much chance of success without her help?

Harold surprised me because I had received non-commital responses from
him previously.  I had visited his office when we were in D.C. for the
forum in May, but only got to speak to a young assistant (they all look
so young these days) who didn't say much of anything.  A girl in the
office overheard our conversation, though, and told me her dad had pd and
she wished us luck with our efforts.

I wrote to him again to express my sympathy for him and his wife who had
cancer (she has since died), and remarked that he now knew from personal
experience the problems of dealing with serious illness on a daily
basis.  I referred to a meeting we had in his office many years ago, when
my children were young and we took them to Washington for a visit.   We
had stopped by his office unannounced, and he invited us in and just
visited with my daughter and me for awhile.  I told him how impressed I
had been to run into a "real down-home person" instead of a Washington
bureacrat.

Perhaps the personal touch helped.  Of course, he is a Democrat (unlike
our senators) and more inclined to favor such programs.  Then, too, like
Hatfield and Pell, this is his last term, and he may feel the inclination
to do something humane and altruistic before he leaves.  Whatever his
motivation, I'm grateful.  That reminds me that I need to write him a
thank you letter.

I haven't responded to the latest Action Alert yet because I'm waiting
for the resource packet from PAN.  I've exhausted my bag of tricks on
these guys and am waiting for more inspiration.  Frankly, I feel like a
bit of a pest, though you claim that's the road to success.  I just don't
want them to think when they hear from me that it's "just that nutty lady
again."  Any thoughts?

Pat Schark