I am new to this information exchange and have been following with great
interest the postings since I joined a week ago.
        My father now 76 years old was diagnosed with PD 3 years ago. I
watched him slowly change from a very active and interactive man to a quite
depressed and more and more physically impaired man.I thought it was a
depression since my parents had relocated across the country to be near
their children and grandchildren. Dad knew something was happening but
couln't turn it around( read with interest the postings on depression). At
the time of his diagnosis , he felt relieved- now he could deal with this.
Little did we know.
        Dad was quite stable for a year- however became aware of memory
loss and an increasing anxiety around common activities. He had a
medication change last June- from sinemet 100/25 3 x a day to sinemet sr
200/25( I believe) 2x a day and everything changed. Dad started finding it
very difficult to be around too many people- an increase in memory changes
then hallucinations ( 8 people in his living room- quietly sitting with
him) became part of his world. He could point them out to me and said very
lucidly how they came in and out of his day. ( as someone earlier described
his experience) Then crash- Dad had a psychotic break and was admitted into
care and has not come home.
        He was trated with Largactil and that drug presented us with a new
diagnosis- Lewy body syndrome. I had to search through British Lancet
journals to learn about this new diagnosis.Dad is now in care and continues
to have some periods of lucidness but his daily experiences are centred in
4 different hallucintory locations- all former life experiences- the war,
his workplace, his fishing experiences and his youth.
        Could anyone help me with an explanation? Mom thinks it is a drug
toxicity and will reverse. I explored every possible nutritional and body
chemistry state which can present a temporary dementia but of no avail.As I
read these posts of this week, I realize so much is unknown but can anyone
discuss this dementia due to Lewy body syndome ? Someone posted- is there
Lewy bodies in the intestine? To what extent can a depression cause a
cognitive impaired response?
        Dad is only taking Ativan 0,05mgm once a day to assist his
caregivers with his personal care.
        With this post ,I do hope that I have not offended anyone or took a
libery that was not mine. I am looking for answers and am turning to this
group for counsel. As a daughter, I have begun to offer volunteer time to
the PD group locally and in 2 weeks will co- facilitate our 1st meeting
with the staff person.( Sons and Daughters of parents with P.D.)
        Thank you again and will look forward to your responses.

Diane Hebert ([log in to unmask])
Burnaby B.C. Canada