GINGER ROOT - Ginger root is available in the form of slices that have been
crystallized with sucrose. It comes in 4 oz. packets for about $1.50 in the
spices section at supermarkets. It is a digestive aid that opens the stomach to
the intestine, as I understand it. I nibble on a dime-size piece after taking my
carbidopa/ldopa and it seems to aid absorption. Nibbling on a piece seems to
give me considerable relief from gastric reflux attacks during the day.
Comments ??

SWALLOWING - If I take two or three small bites, chew each very thoroughly, and
swallow each with a sip of hot water, coffee or tea, my gullet muscle opens and
allows these bites and the rest of my meal to slip into my stomach smoothly.  If
I gulp food or cold liquid, I lock up and feel painful pressure in my
mouth-to-stomach area until I gag and have to start over.  Comments??

PROTEIN - The proteins vary in complexity and are metabolized to amino acids
before they are picked up in the blood. I select metabolized or soluble proteins
such as meat broths, soups or milk if I have more than an hour before my next
ldopa, so that the amino acid transport sites have a chance to clear before they
are needed for the ldopa.  When I have to eat soon after I take my ldopa, I go
for the "rare meat" grade of protein to slow it down in my stomach.  Comments??

AMANTADINE(SYMMETREL) - I was diagnosed with Parkinsonism in five minutes by a
family practitioner after 3 years of frozen shoulder syndrome (and no visits to
any doctor). He started me on amantadine and this worked quite well for 2 years.
I think this drug is most useful for its imitation of dopamine in the limbs and
this might be why it reduced tremor as well as freeing up my shoulder.

BROMOCRIPTINE(PARLODEL) - This worked for a couple years after amantadine lost
its impact, but led to a continuing low back pain (What is retroperitoneal
fibrosis?). Since bromocriptine's other use is to stop lactation in postpartum
patients and it hits the hormonal balances, its effects during menstruation and
menopause may be important to female Parkies.  Comments??

900+CLUB SURVEY - Thanks to your response to my 3rd call,  we now have 50
submitters and I will get to work.  If you have not yet submitted your data (or
that of those in your support group) there is still time and your data may be
the final piece of the jigsaw that gives us a perfect picture of PD.  Comments??

Patrick J. Martin 69,9 (73121.1253@compuserve)