From:  Parkinson's Disease - Information Exchange Network on behalf of Ronald
F. Vetter
Sent:  Tuesday, January 30, 1996 7:52 AM
To:  Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:  re Safire editorial

Margie Nestler wrote:
In today's local paper is an excellent editorial by Wm. Safire. "Good
government in action"  The way to save money long term is to cure diseases
not to warehouse
patients; and if the rate of Medicare growth is to be curtailed, oldsters
ought to be given real hope for scientific breakthroughs.
Result: Next year we will be spending 12 billion for medical research.  The
increase over this year is 680 milliion-spending to save lives as well as
money.     *end clip*

Let me consider: 2.6% of 11.32 billion dollars is $294M, so the 680M will
exceed the CPI-W increase of last year.  However, the medical CPI is more
like 10% per year - which would mean 10% of $11.32B which is $1.132B or
$1,132M.
Thus the $680M is not keeping up with inflation in that sector.

Another point is that $54M of the $11,320M spent last year was relevant to
PD.  That is (54/11320 =) .00477 - which is only 0.477% of the research
funding.  If we are one million with PD of 235 million population, then we
are 0.425% of the population and are getting our share.  How many of us are
there?

However, the CEOs of major companies have incomes over $100M per year!

Ronald Vetter,1936,dz PD 1984  <[log in to unmask]>
http://www1.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter/