DIANE HI, HERE'S THE LAST HALF OF THE EDITORIAL
The first half dealt with the 680 milion paid to our government by MCI
for a TV satellite.
"And now to how that same amount of money is being put to good use.
  In the great downholding of federal spending, the most pound foolish
actual cutback was in biomedical research at the Natl Inst. of Health &
Centers for Disease Control.  The way to save money long term is to cure
diseases not to warehouse patients; and if the rate of Meedicare growth
is to be curtailed, oldsters ought to be given real hope for scientifici
breaktkhroughs.
  Rep John Porter of IL., head of an approprations subcomm, mobilized
scientists & businessmen to get House speaker Newt Gingrich's support for
5.7% increase in biomediiical R&D, well beyond Clinton's 4 % request.
Newt, frequently zapped in this space for political hubris & personal
greed, deservess a salute for coming through against much resistance.
  The problem was the Senate.  Democrats blocked wide-ranging legislation
that included NIH, & the leading biotech supporters, Arlen Specter & Mark
Hatfield, were stymied.
  Then Porter walked over to Bob Dole's office, saw the Repubican leader
& arraanged for a "targeted apprrropriation" that zipped through both
both houses and was signed by the president with alacrity.
  Result: Next year we will be spending 12 million for medical research.
The increase over this year is 680 million-spending to save lives as well
as money-which by coincidence is the amount coming into the Trreasury
from the auction sale of the satellite slot.
  It is no vain, deluding joy to note that the increase for lifesaving cost
the taxpayer not a nickel.  Sometimes the system works.

 THAT'S THE LAST HALF OF GOOD GOVERNMENT IN ACTION.

I thought is strange that Mr. Safire didn't use a CAPTIAL 'P' for president

Margie