Forwarded message:
From engjcc Sat Feb 17 16:13:32 1996
Subject: Records Research: Theories and Methodologies.
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 16:13:32 +0000 (GMT)

Dear REED-L'ers,

        I am working on my PhD Thesis which deals with the textual and
social contexts of the records of early drama in the area around The Wash.
I've been working with original manuscripts, microfilms, and the Malone
Society Norfolk and Lincolnshire volumes.  The latter are very good collections
of dramatic records for the area I'm studying.
        At the moment I'm working on thinking through literary and
historiographical theories and how they apply to 'Records Research'
within the field of Early English Drama.  I've read most of the introductory
articles on the topic in REEDN and some specific articles dealing with
other records in METh and Comp. Drama.  I've also read the articles,
especially the last chapter, in the Cambridge Companion (to Medieval
English Theatre), Theresa Colleti's article (Reading REED) (with which
I obviously have some concerns), and Diana Wyatt's article on Editing for
REED.
        My question to you is a query for more sources on 'theory' of
records research, justifications of methodologies, and constructive
criticism of either REED or Malone Society collections.  (Such as
Dr. Rastall's review of the Lancashire REED vol.)  If you have any
suggestions where I might direct my readings I would be most glad
to hear about it (either on-list or off).

Many Thanks in Advance,

James Cummings
School of English,
University of Leeds,
Leeds, UK. LS2 9JT

--
<A href="http:[log in to unmask]">
James Cummings, [log in to unmask], English, University of Leeds</A>.