     First let me say what a good idea I think it is to initiate a
conversation on the subject of methodology and records research.  I hope
many REEDers will join in.  I also hope that attaching "dramatic" to
"records research", as James Cummings does, will not result in a
discussion restricted to the parameters of REED's own publication
protocols.  James Cummings's dissertation, as he describes it, extends
far beyond the limits REED has set for itself, yet is certainly also
"records research."  I think the subject he raises is both timely and
important, and I aim to respond, but in a series of shorter items rather
than one long one, a cloud of shotgun pellets rather than a single
cannonball.  Stay tuned.
William Ingram, English Dept, Univ of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI 48109-1045
e-mail: [log in to unmask]               fax (departmental): 313 763 3128