>Date:    Sun, 4 Feb 1996 09:56:28 -0500
>From:    Anne Rutherford <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: I Can't write - do I have company?
>
>HI All
>I am posting this  for one of our chapter members.
> She  has been
>wondering if she is the only person with Parkinsons who  can't
>write----Not just writing very small---- but hardly able to sign her
>name. When I asked her how she managed in the kitchen she said she could
>no longer even crack an egg.  Now that is pretty hard to tolerate, being
>beaten by an egg. :-(
>Problems with slowness and balance are not so aggravating, and  anyway
>they are improved by medication, while the hand is not.
>Does anyone else have this much difficulty with their hands when it is
>four years or so since diagnosis?I will pass on your responses.
>Thanks
>
>Anne Rutherford  <<[log in to unmask]>>

Anne:

Tell your friend that I have been diagnosed less than a year, symptomatic
for less than two, and if I have to write more than my signature I use the
computer. I continue to work as an engineering manager in a large,
multi-national corporation, my balance and gait are generally ok, but my
hand hurts so quickly trying to write that I quickly give up. My diagnosing
neuro. suggested switching to my left hand for writng, but I haven't had the
motivation to attempt that yet.

A couple of things I have done to unload handwriting: checkbook and monthly
bills are now handled with Quicken software online; lots of short memos
printed out instead of Post-it notes (I'd love to find a special purpose
printer to handle Post-its); lots of EMAIL instead of notes.

Rich Thompson
Eldepryl only 2x5mg