------------ Forwarded Message begins here ------------
From: "Robert B. Howard"  <howar019>
Date: Thu, Feb 1, 1996 3:31 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: New User/ Unusual Symptoms of PD

Hi! I'm a new user of the list and am also almost a newcomer to the computer
world. This is about my third attempt to get this message out to the PARKINSN
net. I hope this works.
I am a retired physician (internist, not a neurologist) now devoting essentially
full-time to the care of my wife. She has had PD for 10 years, now takes 1 or
1.5 25/100 Sinemet tablets every 1.5 hours during the waking hours, a high dose,
certainly, but if she doesn't get it, she has severe akinesia and feels "awful."
On the other hand, she does get toxic reactions, especially in the form of sever
dyskinetic movements of her head and extremities. The line between too much and
too little Sinemet is very narrow, and it often seems that she is having both
problems at the same time.
The unusual symptom is e severe pain affecting her throat, jaw, and tongue. She
has 2 or 3 episodes of this each day. This is not supposed to happen in PD, but
this responds to Sinemet, which in part accounts for the high and frequent doses
of Sinemet.
She reacted adversely to Artane, gets no benefit from Sinemet CR, had a severe
allergic reaction to Parlodel, lost 30 lb. on Eldepryl, and got no benefit from
amantadine.
Has anyone had experience with pain of this type in PD? Any suggestions? We
would also welcome reports on the effect of pallidotomy in management of
dyskinesia. Thanks, Bob Howard ([log in to unmask])

------------ Forwarded Message ends here ------------