I have recently returned from holiday and, among the e-mail waiting for
me there was one asking for information about my experience with Permax.
Unfortunately, I managed to delete it when I should have saved it, so
I'm not sure who was asking me.  So, in the hope that the unknown will
read it, I post my reply to the open list.

In the original letter, I remember the writer saying I had reported
having a bad time ramping up on Permax (that's Pergolide, or Celance for
you fellow Brits).  In fact - and hence the subject of this letter - I
had a very easy time of it.

When I started  on Permax I was ready for the any of the horrendous list
of possible side-effects that I had seen mentioned, but, in fact, didn't
experience any at all.  The transition was really very easy for me.  As
a result, I have been able to reduce my Sinemet CR intake by forty
percent and feel a whole lot better on my present meds.

FYI, I presently take the following:

0800 - 2 x 'Half-SinemetCR', 1 x 0.25 mgm and 3 x 0.05 mgm Permax
1200 - 1 x 'Half-SinemetCR', 1 x 0.25 mgm and 3 x 0.05 mgm Permax
1600 - same as at 1200

I then do not usually take any more until the next morning (John
Cottenham's "Drug Holiday"?). However, if we are going out for the
evening or I feel that I need help to stay ON, I will take another Half-
SinemetCR at about 1900.

As a 'first-aid kit', I have a supply of fast-acting Madopar Dispersible
in case of a real need for a quick boost - although I have to say that
happens only very rarely.  Incidentally, I don't think Madopar is
available in the US.

I must stress that the experience I had with Permax was MY experience
and will not necessarily be the same for anybody else.  For ME it worked
like a charm and I am now very settled on it.  This will NOT be the case
for everybody.

You may be interested to know that I recently had a discussion with
Europe's top PD researcher about Eldepryl (Selegeline) and the present
bad publicity.  His advice was " The research was incomplete, so, if you
take it as part of a cocktail and find you can manage without it, drop
it off.  But if, when you try to stop using it, you find you feel worse,
then start taking it again."  This would apply especially to those of us
who only take Eldepryl, of course.

I hope this will be of help to somebody out there and just want to add
that I missed you all while I was on holiday.

Always remember, there are a lot worse things than PD, and be thankful.
All of you are regularly in my prayers.

--
Ron Herstell