Jim,
My sincerest congratulations to you and many thanks for the outstanding
contribution you (and no doubt your wife) have made this year to the PD
community. My silence has been more a function of the overwhelming
changes that have occurred in our lives since Nancy's two
pallidotomies. On top of that I am starting up a new business within
Shell and time has been at a premium. I have been following all the
Udall activity through the Listserv and the PAN news letters but have
not been agressive in getting to all of our representatives. That is
not a lack of interest just a functiom of time. We do have coverage for
about 16 of the 32 representatives but I need to get refocused again.

 Nancy and I have been speaking to support groups, church groups and in
April will speak to the Intercontinental Rotary in Houston. We always
talk about the Udall bill but frankly the miracle of her pallidotomy
has been what everybody focuses on. By the way I have been active in
trying to stop the non coverage policy that the HCFA seems destined to
put in place against Pallidotomy surgery. I do plan to attend the PAN
conference in Washington WITH MY WIFE but haven't heard anything about
the scheduling of that for this year.

The Houston Area Parkinson Society is having its annual symposium on
May 11 and I am helping put that together now. Could you possibly come
down and speak to us about your Udall efforts? We would no doubt
arrange to pay for your visit.

I have to run now to New Jersey for a few days my 54 year old brother-
in-law passed away on Thursday so we will be out of pocket for a few
days. Attached is a copy of the letter that I sent to the HCFA:

February 4, 1996

Health Care Financing Administration         Health Care Financing
Administration
Mr. Bruce Vladeck Administrator                 Director Office of
Bureau Policy Development
200 Independence Ave.                                 Mr. Thomas Ault
Sw Room 314-G                                              7500
Security Blvd. MSC50114
Washington DC 20201                                   Baltimore MD.
21244
202-690-7626                                                   410-786-
5635

Gentlemen,

I recently read with incredulity the impending decision by the HCFA
Technical Advisory Group to issue a "non-coverage policy statement" for
the surgical procedure called a pallidotomy. While I am not familiar,
with the inner workings of our Federal health care systems I feel
compelled to ask you to reconsider this action, at least on moral
grounds, if not based on our personal experience and the new lease on
life that my wife has been given by this surgical procedure..

My wife has endured PD for 20 years. Her quality of life had been
diminishing at a rate that weakened our faith in God, our faith in man
and our faith in ourselves.  Nancy, my wife, now age fifty was using
wheelchairs, walkers, and a variety of mechanical devices at home to
enable her to maintain the barest dignity and self dependence. Working
or doing much of anything to support herself had not been possible for
years.

After a failed attempt at an adrenal transplant in 1989, we pursued
successfully, this past year, two unilateral pallidotomies which were
performed by Doctor Philip Gildenberg at St. Luke's Hospital in
Houston. While Nancy didn't run down the hall as Ed did on TV shortly
after his  surgery. She did rise up from her bed in intensive care two
hours after the first surgery and walked two laps around the intensive
care unit unmedicated. That  morning she laid in bed unmedicated frozen
and full of tremor. Completely free of the sinemet induced dyskinesia,
she now, gives speeches about PD and her personal triumph, baby sits on
a limited basis for her grandchildren and plays golf with me and our
local PD golf group. A dream that we had all but given up on 10 years
ago.

With careful scrutiny of patients, neurosurgeons can perform miracles.
We have witnessed several in the Houston area as we have success
stories from the Emory program in Atlanta, the program at Baylor
College of Medicine in Houston ,  Dr. Gildenberg's efforts at St.
Luke's Hospital and Dr. Laitenen's  efforts in Sweden. In every case
the patients have returned to work and are doing well. Surely a
reliable evaluation procedure can be devised as a guide for teams of
surgeons and neurologists to follow as they seek to provide relief from
this terrible disease.

To deprive those who suffer from this ravaging disease of the benefits
of this very powerful surgical procedure seems unthinkable. I appeal to
you to reconsider your "non coverage policy" and at the very least
leave it open to skilled neurologists and neurosurgeons to apply there
talents to this group of suffers.

Both my wife and I would be happy to present her story to you or your
committee workers on this very complex issue. I am a board member of
the Houston Area Parkinson Society and I know I speak the sentiments of
the other board members.. We have made a grant to the University of
Texas Medical School to assist with the funding of their program and
plan to continue to support similar activities in the future.

Please don't deprive those Parkinsonian's who might benefit from this
procedure from receiving Medicare coverage for the pallidotomy
procedure.

Respectfully,

Robert A.  Martone CPA      Home 713-358-5168   Office 713-241-2611
Board member and
Assistant Treasurer Houston Area Parkinson Society
3614 Forest Village Dr.
Kingwood Tx. 77339

with attachments
Please stay in touch I hope you can see that I am not in retreat just
stuck in the mud but moving forward.
Bob Martone [log in to unmask]

------- REPLY, Original message follows --------