A (At)  9:56 4/02/96 -0500, Anne Rutherford ecrivait (wrote):
>HI All
>I am posting this  for one of our chapter members.
> She  has been
>wondering if she is the only person with Parkinsons who  can't
>write----Not just writing very small---- but hardly able to sign her
>name. When I asked her how she managed in the kitchen she said she could
>no longer even crack an egg.  Now that is pretty hard to tolerate, being
>beaten by an egg. :-(
>Problems with slowness and balance are not so aggravating, and  anyway
>they are improved by medication, while the hand is not.
>Does anyone else have this much difficulty with their hands when it is
>four years or so since diagnosis?I will pass on your responses.
>Thanks
>
>Anne Rutherford  <<[log in to unmask]>>

Ann,
 PD diagnosed in 1983 (presumed begining 1981). According to my experience,
you would expect improvement by fine tuning of medication. Writing tests
(time and quality with a standard text: your name and address for instance)
are excellent references for the overall instantaneous PD state. Do make
this test several time each day, under various state of stiffness. If you
notice sudden and periodic change from stiffness (OFF) to freedom of wrist
motion (ON), the latter with dyskinesia, then you 'd suspect an overdose
problem creating unstability (yo-yo effect). If, on the other hand, no
dyskinesia occurs, you are possibly underdosed.
I believe that a Neurologist with good practice in PD therapy can help highly.
The right therapy can be obtained only with slight adjustments.
I still suffer from wrist stiffness and of handwriting lazyness from time
to time each day but it is'nt a great problem anymore (I make use of a text
processor but I can scramble eggs when in favourable state).
So keep hope and be patient, Ann and good luck !
Pierre-Andre Piron

Pierre-Andre PIRON