Pat,

I have experienced panic attacks for years. They were often very
intense involing my whole body in terrible tremors and freezing. They
normally would last between 20 and 30 minutes and usually would occur
at night when I was sleeping. We have not been able to identify a cause
but did find that Ativan could make it subside in 10 minutes or so.
Usually one pill was enough but sometimes two were needed. Ativan
(Lorasepam) is an anti anxiety agent and I took it in 1mg doses. It is
quite effective but it will knock you out, which after a panic attack I
was happy to have happen. This would be tough though if you had to
travel right after taking a pill.

Since my pallidotomies I have had infrequent  panic attacks of much
less intensity but, I still carry Ativan around for insurance, and will
take one when I feel an unusuall level of stress building up. This is
in frequent since the surgery. Ativan side effects can be many. For me
they caused some hallucination for a limited period of time, which my
husband Bob will attest too, but the relief from the panic attack has
always exceeded any negative side effects.
Hope you find this helpful. I saw Alan Bonanders note on the use of
blue glasses and would also echo his comments but following my
pallidotomies my need for blue glasses has really been diminished since
I no longer suffer from the dreaded dyskinesia.
-
Nancy Martone [log in to unmask]
age 50, diagnosed '77, pal '95
-

----------- REPLY, Original message follows --------

> From: P. Schark                \ Internet:    ([log in to unmask])
> Subject: Help! Panic Attack! (fwd)

> I recently had two scary panic attacks in 24 hours and have been
trying to
> figure out why they happened so I can avoid them in the future.
>
> The first occurred when I woke abruptly from a sound sleep with my
heart
> pounding wildly.  I was shaking from head to toe and had a chest pain
that
> mimics a heart attack.  The same symptoms occurred the following day
while
> I was teaching a class.  Although the nighttime attacks had happened
> before, I never had one at work until then.  In addition, during the
> daytime attack I became flushed and hot all over.  I passed the hot-
flash
> phase of menapause years ago, so it wasn't that.  I had my blood
pressure
> taken several hours after the attack, and it was still very high.
During
> the daytime attack, I froze in my seat.  This is only the second time
> that's happened; the first was in the shower last week. Luckily I had
> good class and they were able to carry on without me. I had warned
them
> previously that I could experience "off" times and explained what
could
> happen, so they weren't surprised.  Nevertheless, it took an hour for
me
> to get back on.
>
> The only variable within 24 hours of the attack was a masssage I had
> gotten the evening before the first one.  Does anyone know if that
could
> trigger an attack?  We had been out to dinner before the massage to
> celebrate my son's birthday.  Food additives might be the culprit.
My
> nutritionist said a very remote possibility might be toxins released
into
> my system by the massage added to toxins generated by the
diet/supplement