At 03:49 PM 2/7/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi:
>I should not meddle in this, but I worry about people who get into a tizzy
>and gad about to find out what to do about PD.  If you get an answer from
>each of us on the list, you would need to statiscally determine the best
>approach for your case.  Looking around just the small number of people in
>our support group, I can see the wide divergence and degree in the disease
>and the variety of therapy available.  I am absolutely convinced that the
>treatment for my wife is strictly  up to the neurologist.  The information we
>get from this listing is good, but it helps me only in finding out about new
>therapies, pharmaceutical and/or medical, that we can discuss, and
>occasionally bring about THROUGH our neurologist.   Good
>luck...............................Michel Margosis

Michel,

I disagree with the philosophy you have described. Since the medical
profession has no solution to the problem of PD, and since they can only
treat the symptoms, It is my opinion that one should become as well informed
as possible
and make the final decision yourself. The human body is a self-repairing machine
and we need to depend more an its ability to do that and stop depeding on a
"magic bullet". (see the book,  Spontaneous Healing by Andrew Weil, MD
published by Alfred A. Knopf, NY 1995)

In my case I went to a physician specializing in Parkinson's and other
movement disorders. She diagnosed it as atypical parkinsonism. They don't
know what causes it or what to do about it.  She said to be more specific
would require an autopsy. ( I have elected not to have that test done yet)  :-)

When I fix a peice of electronic equipment or mechanical equipment, my first
task is to find out how it is supposed to work. Only then am I prepared to
take it apart with real understanding to fix its problem. With PD we need to
emphasize more than we do the basic research that would give us the real
understanding of the mechanism involved instead of seeking the drugs that
will give symptomatic relief.
---Milo
Milo V. Anderson, Ph.D.
Box 417