Hi There,

In the Parkinson Report from NPF 4th quarter 1995, there is all the fine
print about the regular Sinemet and the sustained release version Sinemetr
CR.
Like many others, I had never bothered to read this fine print material that
is required by the FDA.

I have a long history of skin lesions and rashes on my head and back.
So I was a little disturbed when I read the section entitled
CONTRAINDICATIONS.

I will type this section out to send to my GP and to my neuro-doctor.

SINEMETr CR (CARBIDOPA- LEVODOPA) SUSTAINED-RELEASE TABLETS:
CONTRAINDICATIONS:

Non selective MOA inhibitors are contraindicated for use with
SINEMETr CR.
These inhibitors must be discontinued at least two weeks prior to initiating
therapy with SINEMETr CR.  SINEMETr CR may be administered concomitantly with
the manufacturer's recommended dose of an MAO inhibitor with selectivity for
MAO type B (e.g. Selegiline HCL).
SINEMETr CR is contraindicated for patients with known hypersensitivity to
any component of this drug and with patients with narrow angle glaucoma.
 Because Levodopa may activate a malignant melanoma,
SINEMETr CR should not be used in patients with suspicious, undiagnosed skin
lesions or a history of melanoma.

SINEMET (CARBIDOPA- LEVODOPA) TABLETS:
CONTRAINDICATIONS:

Monoamine oxidase inhibitors and SINEMET should not be given concomitantly.
These inhibitors must be discontinued at least two weeks prior to initiating
therapy with SINEMET. SINEMET is contraindicated for patients with known
hypersensitivity to this drug and with patients with narrow angle glaucoma.
It should not be used in patients with suspicious, undiagnosed skin lesions
or a history of melanoma.

I think it pays to read the fine print, don't you?!

Take care and be careful out there...

   / Jon D. Stedman Dx 1986/
  / Sunnyvale, CA 94086   /