The current (March-April 1996) issue of American Scientist has a very
interesting article on "Reward Deficiency Syndrome" by Kenneth Blum et al.

The article mentions 5 physiologically distinct dopamine receptors  (D1,
D2, D3, D4, and D5) with most of the work on the D2 receptor.  They used
the restriction enzyme (Taq 1) to produce 4 Taq1A alleles.  As I
understood the article, the presence of the A1 alleles resulted in far
fewer D2 receptors in the brain, with potential behavior problems.

Could someone more knowledgable than myself comment on the D2 receptor
functions, etc., especially in areas outside the substantia nigra.  Could
lack of dopamine in these other areas produce some of the effects we are
seeing in our parkinson patients?

Miriam L. Denham