From:   Parkinson's Disease - Information Exchange Network on behalf of Stan
Hamburger
Sent:   Friday, February 16, 1996 2:27 PM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        Pallidotomy at Emory

Hi friends,
     Stan and I returned from Atlanta last night, three days after his
successful pallidotomy at Emory.  I just wanted to send a very heartfelt
'thank you' to all of you who sent us such supportive messges.  I can't tell
you how much it means to have so many people pulling for us.  With all the
good wishes and
prayers of our friends, family, co-workers, and Parkinsn List/CARE members,
there was no way it would not be successful.
     The surgery, following two days of MRI, pre-op testing. and appointments
with the physicians at Emory, was last Monday (Feb 12).  Because of the
technique of using micro-electrode recordings to identify the right location,
the surgery is very long, but Stan did very well.  He spent the first night
in the ICU, had another MRI  and was then moved to a private room until he
was discharged on Thursday morning.
     The improvement in his Parkinson's symptoms is already extremely
impressive.  He has NOT had an episode of freezing, which was his primary
problem,  since before the surgery.   I have not noticed any tremor,
shuffling steps,  toe walking, stooped posture, hesitation in doorways, or
use of the wheelchair.  He is able to get up in the middle of the night and
WALK to the bathroom.
      He had been advised to stay on his regular meds following the surgery,
and he did at first.  However, he seemed to be over-medicated and it was
reduced slightly. Several times while he was in the hospital we elected to
skip a dose because he was doing so well and didn't seem to need anything.
 Now that we are home I  have had to remind him to take the meds.  I think he
may be one of the
lucky ones who will be able to reduce his Sinemet dose  following this
surgery.
     The biggest problem at this stage is that he is extremely tired - which
is very normal for this surgery.  He has been taking naps every few hours.
It could take up to a couple of months before he is fully recovered and we
know for sure how extensive the improvement is.
     The Pallidotomy program at Emory is really outstanding.  The physicians
and
support staff were terrific and their dedication to this program is obvious.
We were extremely well prepared for what would happen before and after the
surgery and that really helped reduce the anxiety.  While I was waiting I was
given updates almost every hour and two days after Stan's surgery I spent
time with another wife of a PD patient who was having the surgery - at their
suggestion.  It was a wonderful experience and Stan said he would do it again
if necessary, but not this year.
     Warm regards,

     Susan Hamburger, CG for Stan 61/14+ years